Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Palimpsest

You were there
As I entered the gates,
Waiting for my painted face
To light up with delight.
I would wait for you,
And you would wait for me,
And together we were happy.


You were there
As I stood before you,
Listening to your wisdom
To ensure that you were safe
And I was safe,
So that together we could be happy.


Yet as time went on,
As pages on the calendar fell like petals,
You still were there,
And I was not.
The world went on,
And you did not.

I entered the gates,
Waiting with my painted face
To light up with delight.
I ran to you,
And you were not there.


Irreplaceable, yet replaced.
Unforgettable, yet forgotten.
Young, yet too old.

Because for some reason Universal Studios thought it would be a good idea
To just up and get rid of the iconic “Back to the Future: The Ride” and
Replace it.
Yes, replace it.
Replace you, my love,
With The Simpsons Ride.

The Simpsons Ride.

The freaking Simpsons Ride.

As I entered the gates,
With an unpainted face
Dimly lit with content
I ran to where you once were,

And I noticed that Universal Studios was trying to be slick

And put Back to the Future references into the freaking Simpsons Ride.
But when my vision cooled,
When my melancholy melted into mere nostalgia,
You were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment